In a varied career that has spanned decades and continents, here is a sampling of my best work from some of the world’s most important and prestigious media outlets.
- From The New Republic, an exclusive inside look at the 2016 presidential election recounts. (Jan. 2017)
- From Washington Post, “Little House on the Prairie” star Melissa Gilbert ran for Congress. (March 2016)
- From Tablet, Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman prepared to step aside, and give his wife his job. (April 2011)
- From Playboy, an essay on why the Libertarian movement is an American failure. (Jan. 2016)
- From Al Jazeera America, a deep dive into how much it cost states to defend anti-marriage equality laws. (Sept. 2015)
- From Bloomberg Politics, a profile of Vincent Harris, the GOP digital wunderkind. (Oct. 2014)
- From The Daily Beast, a post-election analysis of how Harry Reid triumphed in 2010. (Nov. 2010)
- From Columbia Journalism Review, why reporters should never report on internal polls.
- From POLITICO, of Sen. Dean Heller.
- From Pacific Standard, of Elaine Wynn.
- From NYT Styles, of Dominick Dunne
- From NY Magazine, of Elaine Stritch
- From Playboy, of election technology expert Alex Halderman.
- From Bloomberg Politics, of America’s first openly LGBT elected official.
In-depth long-form/investigative work:
- From Buzzfeed, how the NRA uses Big Data to fuel its power.
- From The New Republic, the gripping tale told through newly found letters, of the American doctor who liberated Dachau.
- From The Undark, a deep dive into the Flint water crisis in which — spoiler alert! — the author ends up lead-exposed.
- From Al Jazeera America, the growing problem of convicts getting old and sick in prison.
- From TakePart.com,the gruesome realities of sexual assault of men in the U.S. military.
- From BusinessWeek, Aramark’s problems with food service operations in Michigan prisons.
- From The New York Times, an original Borders shut down, so they revamped Ann Arbor’s downtown.
- From Newsweek, How the Great Recession pummeled Las Vegas.
- From Al Jazeera America, what’s behind the growing trend toward dam removal in the U.S.
- From Washington Post, how various brands exploited the Flint water crisis.
- From Columbia Journalism Review, the struggle to diversify in the podcast world.
Among the highlights:
Breaking News/First to report…
- The massive Bellagio blackout. (First to press/online for Boston Globe.)
- A controversial $1 million deal to bring Monets to Vegas. (Newsweek)
- Cirque du Soleil’s plans for a Beatles-themed show at the Mirage. (Reuters)
- A Vegas icon, the Glass Pool Inn, is closing. (Boston Globe/Chicago Tribune)
- First to tour the first American casino in Macau, China. (US News & World Report)
- Only reporter invited to cover secretive gay convention in Hong Kong. (Various)
Probing profiles of…
- Cirque du Soleil’s gay dancers, Patrick & Johan, for The Advocate.
- Chinese basketball stars Wang Zhizhi and Yao Ming for USA Today.
- Former Ford Vice Chair Allan Gilmour, now openly gay for The Advocate.
- Mob lawyer-turned-mayor Oscar Goodman for US News.
- Nevada gubernatoral candidate and cancer battler Jan Jones for Mamm.
Meticulous investigative reports of…
- The US Government’s demands for Social Security numbers of some 2000 Census respondents.
- A corrupt Vegas teachers’ union leader found to have embezzled his previous union.
- A top schools department head and a principal found to have falsified parts of their resumes in unrelated cases.
Personal writings that include…
- An essay blasting right-wingers who oppose gays being Big Brothers, which led to my CNN appearance.
- Opinion pieces on a so-called rave on the Great Wall of China and on the Beijing Olympic decision for papers across the nation.
- A controversial account of life at the Sun-Sentinel on election night in Palm Beach County when the butterfly ballot emerged a culprit in the Gore-Bush fiasco.
Innovative travel stories…
- My critique of the new $2.7 billion Wynn Las Vegas.
- My Little Brother and I grade Las Vegas’ pools.
- My Little Brother and his friend rank Vegas’ animal acts/attractions.
- A Boston Globe piece on Reno’s attempted — and mixed — revival.
- Major piece on Beijing and a live Q-and-A with readers.
Important business stories that examined…
- Implications of Las Vegas gaming spreading to Asia.
- Why senior citizens won’t leave inheritances as much anymore.
- The growing popularity of plastic surgery in China.
- The searing-hot housing market in Palm Beach County, using computer-assisted reporting to analyze and compare property assessments.
- Whether marriage would be financially wise for gay couples.
Quirky takes on…
- Saltwater swimming pools, Michael Jackson’s arrest, the father of Atari and more
- A public school website with rampant mispellings, including “kunderfarden.”
- A raging controversy surrounding illegally kept pork pets.
- A for-credit course on world-control conspiracies.
International coverage, besides in China, of…
- Extensive coverage of the Cambodian adoption crisis for USA Today.
- A mislabeled AP photo of Middle East violence.
- The plight of Serbian gays amid the wars in the Balkans.
- The trial of El Salvadoran ex-leaders for the slaying of American nuns.
- A Nova Scotia school e-mail project that went haywire.
High-tech matters such as…
- The tech behind the Borg Invasion at the Las Vegas Hilton.
- Extensive coverage of the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.
- The Democrats’ accidental release of its entire e-mail mailing list.
- Internet addiction in college.
- A video game that offended minorities.
- How a gay couple invented e-mail and a major component of the Internet.